Last year, with the introduction of our new Catamaran – Afrikat 69, we stopped the use of disposable plastic glasses onboard. Every customer onboard receives their own reusable „beaker“ and we have cleaning stations onboard so that you can change what you’re drinking, and still use the same beaker.
This year, we again lead the field in responsible tourism and we have introduced yummy edible straws in order to stop using plastic straws onboard.
Why we do it ………..did you know :
- It takes 500-1,000 years for plastic to degrade.
- Millions of tonnes of plastic swirl into convergences in the Earth’s oceans making up about 40 percent of the world’s ocean surfaces
- Plastic constitutes approximately 90 percent of all ocean floating rubbish, with 46,000 pieces of plastic per square mile.
- One million sea birds and 100,000 marine mammals are killed annually from plastic in our oceans.
- An estimated 71% of seabirds and 30% of turtles have been found with plastics in their stomachs. When they ingest plastic, marine life has a 50% mortality rate.
What would our oceans be without marine life?